Monday, July 16, 2007

update from the road!

hey everyone! this is t (terry's daugher) writing you from the tiniest little town in death valley. oh man, this desert is gross!
mom got into stovepipe wells, about 42 miles around 8pm last night. she took a shower and swam in the pool for a bit and then we set off in the dark on her uphill battle. you have no idea how creepy the desert is at night!
she struggled a lot, the scenery and never ending roads are breaking her down a bit but she's still chugging along. the road out of stovepipe is a steady climb, gaining a thousand feet every few miles. the miles are long because you can see forever. we were able to convince her to take 20 minute breaks last night and eventually got her to sleep in the van for an hour.
she's passed her second marathon early this morning and is on her way to panamint springs about 14 or so miles from her. what a fun birthday huh?! :)
this is the hardest thing she's ever done. i hope to be able to write down all your comments and read them to her as she's running.
the heat is obnoxious and the skies are clear, so it's pure sunlight beating down on her. at this point she's really nauseated and very tired from the beating sun and from the mental strain of this run.
we did get to meet the rasumussen's which was very cool. marcia really pulled mom through a tough spot on her way to stovepipe wells.
just keep thinking about her. i cant put into words how hard this is to watch her stuggle like she is. she's a tough lady though and we're all pulling for her.
thanks again for the great comments and thanks zack for keeping people updated! i'll try another personal update with photos but it's gonna be at least another day before that.
take care everyone!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome job Terry! I'll bet that pool felt amazing. It's those little reprieves that will keep you going strong. Be sure to treat yourself every now and then. You and your body deserve and need those breaks. Keep up the great work. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Just one foot in front of the other!
Love, Karen M.

Jack said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TERRY! Yes, I did wake up around midnight, but left my lazy butt in bed, but I did think about you, does that count?? I am glad you took a few little rests. Keep going! I hope your injuries aren't causing you too much grief. Thank you to the updaters! Love, Jack

beck said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNTIE T!!!
I didn't know you and my mom had the same birthday!! Of course you probably did, although thats probably not excatly what your thinking about right at this moment! =)
Your doing awsome & we all love you! Keep up the good running & such!

Anonymous said...

Good going Terry! Thank goodness for breaks! Once your in Whitney, you'll love it there! You're in my prayers! Run safe! ~Beth~

Anonymous said...

Terry, remember the monks I told you about?...keep looking 100 feet ahead and soon you'll be flying. Keep it going. Chris

Anonymous said...

TERRY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, YOU WILL NEVER FORGET THIS BIRTHDAY. I WENT ON A 20 MILE RUN AT 104 DEGREE WEATHER JUST TO FEEL A SMALL BIT OF YOUR PAIN. I RAN THREW EVERY SPRINKLER I COULD FIND. I FELT SO SICK WHEN I GOT HOME I THOUGHT I MIGHT PASS OUT BUT I KEPT GOING BECAUSE I KNEW YOU WERE STILL GOING AND YOU ARE GOING THE FULL COURSE. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU AND ALL THAT YOU HAVE DONE. STAY TUFF MY LITTLE SISTA AND REMEMBER ALL THAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR YOUR SISTAS AND HOW FAR WE HAVE ALL CAME BECAUSE OF YOU. STAY THE COURSE AND REMEMBER YOUR GOALS. LOVE YOUR SISTA OF LABOR SYLVIA

Anonymous said...

TERRY, YOU JUST KEEP GOING GIRL!!!!
THINKING OF YOU AS YOU MAKE YOUR
TREK...
LOVE,MARIAN

Anonymous said...

Amazing, you are truly amazing!! In all my life I have never met anyone as amazing as you. Did I mention you are amazing!!
My prayers are with you, you are such an inspiration to us all!

Anonymous said...

That last comment was from Rachel. Love ya!

Carly said...

ALRIGHT TERRY!!!!

OH. & HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
KEEP IT UP!!
LOVE YOU!!

ps. YOULL GET A GREAT TAN..=)

Jack said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR TEERRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. Love, Jack

Anonymous said...

GO AUNTIE TERRY!!!
yourkickin major booty, keep it up your my hero!!! hehehe love you!
<3shelby

Anonymous said...

TERRY
THIS MESSAGE IS FROM FLASH, TYPED BY SISTASYL...
DON'T LOOK AHEAD...ONE MILE AT A TIME..KEEP YOUR HAT PULLED DOWN AND PUT ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER. LOVE FLASH
P.S. OH YA HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOVE YOU.

Anonymous said...

Terence! you amazing woman you. I thought about you as I was driving through the California desert yesterday and feeling very glad it wasn't me running in that heat! I am so proud to call you a friend.
You have amazing strength and drive. Remember all of us rooting for you at home but most of all remember that He is with you in all things; even the desert. He'll never leave you. I know you can do it! Happy Birthday! Love and hugs- Stacey B